view on amazon view on itunes

Global14 Sports @global14sports ?

active 1 week, 2 days ago
"Carmelo Anthony, Knicks reach deal Carmelo Anthony has reached a deal to remain with the New York Knicks. The team announced Sunday that it had re-signed Anthony, but did not disclose terms. The contract will be for more than $122 [...]" · View
  • Global14 Sports posted an update:   1 week, 2 days ago · View

    Carmelo Anthony, Knicks reach deal

    Carmelo Anthony photo nba_g_anthony1_mb_600x400_zpsefc26009.jpg

    Carmelo Anthony has reached a deal to remain with the New York Knicks.

    The team announced Sunday that it had re-signed Anthony, but did not disclose terms.

    The contract will be for more than $122 million but less than the five-year, $129 million max figure, a source told ESPN The Magazine’s Chris Broussard on Saturday.

    ”After three months of questions around Carmelo Anthony’s return to the New York Knicks we are now happy to know that we have the cornerstone of what we envision as a ’team of excellence,’” Knicks president Phil Jackson said in a statement. ”… [Knicks general manager] Steve Mills and I have assured Carmelo through our conversations, that we share the vision and the determination to build this team.”

    Jackson added later Sunday that Anthony had taken less than the maximum to give the Knicks cap flexibility.

    ”He did exactly what we kind of asked him to do. Give us a break in the early part of his contract so that when we have some wiggle room next year, which is hopefully big enough wiggle room, we can exploit it, provide a more competitive team for our group,” Jackson said after the Knicks’ summer league practice in Las Vegas.

    Anthony and the Knicks had been in the final stages of negotiations since Saturday.

    Anthony also announced the deal via his personal website on Sunday afternoon.

    ”A few years ago I dreamed of coming back to New York City, the place of my birth, and on February 23, 2011 that became a reality,” Anthony said in a statement. ”This organization has supported me and in return, I want to stay and build here with this city and my team. At this pivotal juncture in my career, I owed it to myself and my family to explore all of the options available to me. Through it all, my heart never wavered.”

    Anthony was being courted by the Knicks, Chicago Bulls, Dallas Mavericks, Houston Rockets and Los Angeles Lakers. He met with each team last week.

    He was choosing between the Knicks and Bulls as recently as Friday, according to sources.

    ”I will always remember this chapter in my life. In the end, I am a New York Knick at heart,” he said in the statement. ”I am looking forward to continue my career in Orange & Blue and to work with Phil Jackson, a champion who builds championship teams. Madison Square Garden is the mecca of basketball and I am surrounded by the greatest fans in the world.”

    First-year Knicks coach Derek Fisher said he was thrilled to have the chance to coach Anthony, a seven-time All-Star.

    ”I have had the opportunity to be around some of the greatest players in our game, and now I have the honor of coaching Carmelo,” Fisher said in a statement. ”This is an exciting time for the New York Knicks franchise and our fans. I look forward to working with him and building something special together.”

    The Lakers were prepared to offer Anthony a max contract of $97 million over four years. The Bulls did not have enough cap space to make a similar offer, but could have offered Anthony a max contract via a sign-and-trade.

    In bringing back Anthony, the Knicks have retained one of the top scorers in the NBA. Anthony averaged 27.4 points per game last season (second-best in the NBA) and a career-high 8.1 rebounds. Anthony is one of only five players to average 25 points per game and six rebounds per game in his career since the NBA merger. Michael Jordan, LeBron James, Kevin Durant and Karl Malone are the others.

    The 30-year-old Anthony has averaged 26.5 points per game since coming to New York in 2011. That’s tied with Bernard King for the second-highest scoring average in Knicks history.

    Anthony operated heavily in isolation last season, which is not necessarily in concert with Jackson’s triangle offense. Jackson said Sunday that Anthony is looking forward to operating within the triangle offense, which is predicated on player movement, spacing and passing.

    ”I talked to Carmelo a little bit about that in the process. One of the things about the offensive system is you can’t try to score every time you catch the ball,” Jackson said. ”You have to participate and you also have to have guys who are strong enough to know that there’s a whole offense to run and guys to all be involved, and if things happen, breakdowns, you need to have that man who can get shots on his own, then you have a guy that’s a great bailout guy in Carmelo. So there are two things that go along with that, but I think that’s what he’s really looking for. He admired San Antonio’s game and how they played, and that’s the way we want to play.”

    With Anthony, Amar’e Stoudemire ($23.4 million) and Andrea Bargnani ($11.5 million) under contract for 2014-15, the Knicks are expected to be over the salary cap. Jackson had offered Stoudemire and Bargnani in trade talks with several teams in recent days, according to sources. He was unable to find a taker.

    Assuming Stoudemire and Bargnani remain under contract, the Knicks will have only the $3.3 million tax payer’s exception and veteran’s minimum contracts to offer free agents this summer.

    Jackson hinted that the Knicks would be prudent with their spending for the rest of the summer but made it clear that he would be looking to balance the guard-heavy roster.

    ”We’ve been a taxpayer team for a little bit and we want to limit that. So, we’re not just going to foolishly throw money away because it’s available to us,” Jackson said. ”We want to make an appropriate move that brings our team forward.”

    In the summer of 2015, the Knicks are projected to have at least $20 million in cap space. New York is expected to target the top free agents on the market that summer, a list which could include Memphis Grizzlies center Marc Gasol.

    By Ian Begley

  • Global14 Sports posted an update:   3 weeks, 2 days ago · View

    NBA : Milwaukee Bucks hire Jason Kidd

  • Global14 Sports posted an update:   1 month, 1 week ago ·   updated 1 month, 1 week ago · View

    Spurs 2014 Champions photo 140615222537-homepage-t1-only-patty-mills-emotion-game-5home-t1_zps78433045.jpg

  • Global14 Sports posted an update:   1 month, 1 week ago · View

    NBA : #Heat 87 – 104 #Spurs (Final; Spurs Win The NBA Finals)

  • Global14 Sports posted an update:   1 month, 1 week ago · View

    Donald Sterling hires investigators

     photo sterlingEDIT_635x250_1402662068_zps822f439d.jpg

    Los Angeles Clippers owner Donald Sterling’s team of lawyers has hired four private investigation firms to dig up dirt on the NBA’s former and current commissioners and its 29 other owners, said a person familiar with Sterling’s legal strategy.
    Related Stories

    Report: Sterling hiring investigators to examine NBA practices The SportsXchange
    Donald Sterling hires private investigators to dig up dirt on NBA commissioner and owners NBC Sports
    Attorney: Donald Sterling agrees to sell Clippers The Associated Press
    APNewsBreak: Shelly Sterling heads to court The Associated Press
    Report: Shelly Sterling heads to court seeking hearing to allow her to sell Clippers NBC Sports

    Investigators were given a six-figure budget over the next 30 days to examine the league’s finances, allegations of previous discriminatory conduct and compensation to past Commissioner David Stern and current Commissioner Adam Silver, said the person who spoke to The Associated Press on Thursday night on condition of anonymity. The person wasn’t authorized to talk publicly.

    The person said the investigators also are looking into whether other owners made any off-color jokes, or racist or sexist remarks.

    ”The gloves are off, as they say,” the person said. ”Have them dig up all the dirt they can find.”

    The 80-year-old Sterling is suing the NBA for $1 billion in federal court after the league tried to oust him as Clippers owner for making racist remarks to a girlfriend that were recorded and publicized. Silver fined him $2.5 million and banned him for life.

    The suit alleges the league violated Sterling’s constitutional rights by relying on information from an ”illegal” recording. It also said the league committed a breach of contract by fining Sterling and that it violated antitrust laws by trying to force a sale.

    Sterling’s attorneys also will be facing off with his wife’s attorneys in probate court during a four-day hearing scheduled for July.

    The probate court hearing centers on whether Shelly Sterling had the right to unilaterally negotiate a $2 billion deal to sell the Clippers to former Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer. Shelly Sterling’s attorney, Pierce O’Donnell, said she made the deal as the sole administrator of The Sterling Family Trust, which owns the team, after two doctors determined her estranged husband was mentally ”incapacitated.” Donald Sterling is fighting that conclusion and her authority to sell.

    The person who spoke to the AP said Donald Sterling reluctantly agreed to hire private investigators after this week’s legal proceedings in probate court. The NBA submitted a legal filing Wednesday urging a judge to confirm Shelly Sterling’s authority to sell the team.

    ”He realized these guys will literally go to any low to get this sold,” the person said. ”Even if it gets (him) nothing other than exposing all these guys and shaking up the league and seeing a change in the leadership of the league, it’ll be worth it to him.”

    The firms will be engaged in an ”audition” of sorts, the individual said: ”Whoever delivers the best (material) is going to stay on for the next round and it might be all four of them…29 owners is not a small undertaking.”

    By TAMI ABDOLLAH

  • Global14 Sports posted an update:   1 month, 2 weeks ago ·   updated 1 month, 1 week ago · View

    NBA : #Heat 95 – 110 #Spurs (Final, Spurs lead series 1-0)

    • Avatar Image
      signal20pk · 1 month, 2 weeks ago

      the nba is rigged

    • Avatar Image
      cynaamonjLTL · 1 month, 1 week ago

      WE NEED AN UPDATE PLEASE!!! <3

  • Global14 Sports posted an update:   1 month, 2 weeks ago · View

    NBA : #Heat 49 – 54 #Spurs (Halftime)

  • Global14 Sports posted an update:   1 month, 3 weeks ago · View

    Hall of Famer Dan Marino suing NFL over concussions suffered during career

     photo marino_635x250_1401752294_zps0739752e.jpg

    One of the NFL’s most accomplished quarterbacks is among the players suing the NFL for damages related to concussions players say they suffered during their football-playing careers.

    Dan Marino, a Hall of Famer for the Miami Dolphins, was one of 15 players named in a lawsuit filed in U.S. District Court in Philadelphia against the league, according to federal court records, as reported by the Los Angeles Times.

    There are more than 300 active lawsuits against the league, comprised of more than 5,000 former players. Marino was named in an 18-page complaint that charged the NFL with concealing and whitholding information about football-related brain injuries, claims that the NFL has repeatedly have denied.

    Marino, 52, played for the Dolphins from 1983 to 1999 and was named to nine Pro Bowls. According to the short-form version of the complaint, of which one was submitted for each plaintiff, “On information and belief, the Plaintiff … sustained repetitive, traumatic sub-concussive and/or concussive head impacts during NFL games and/or practices.”

    According to the Times report, Marino is seeking ”medical monitoring and unspecified financial recovery.”

    Although as many as 40 or more Hall of Famers have been part of lawuits against the league, Marino’s is perhaps one of the biggest and most recognized. His recent work as a broadcaster, even as he was let go by CBS, makes him among the more recognizeable former players to several generations of football-watching fans.

    By Eric Edholm

  • Global14 Sports posted an update:   1 month, 3 weeks ago ·   updated 1 month, 3 weeks ago · View

    Former Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer wins bidding for Clippers with NBA-record $2 billion offer

     photo b959a260-e786-11e3-8f3b-5b68fc772ccd_489626585_zps86f78bd3.jpg

    Former Microsoft chief executive Steve Ballmer won a frenetic bidding war for ownership of the Los Angeles Clippers, with his $2-billion offer setting a record price for an NBA team, The Times has learned.

    Ballmer, who was chief executive of Microsoft for 14 years, was chosen over competitors that included Los Angeles-based investors Tony Ressler and Steve Karsh and a group that included David Geffen and executives from the Guggenheim Group, the Chicago-based owner of the Los Angeles Dodgers.

    A person with knowledge of the negotiations said the Geffen group bid $1.6 billion and Ressler at $1.2 billion.

    The sale price is almost four times the highest previous NBA franchise sale price — the $550 million paid earlier this month for the Milwaukee Bucks. It is second only to the Dodgers’ 2012 sale for $2.1 billion as the highest price for any sports team in North America.

    The prospective sale by Clippers co-owner Shelly Sterling comes five days ahead of an NBA hearing to oust her family from ownership following a controversy in which Donald Sterling insulted African-Americans in a secret audio recording.

    The tentative deal still must receive the blessing of her husband, Donald Sterling, who has waxed and waned on the question of whether he would allow his wife to sell the team he has controlled for more than three decades.

    The deal also needs the eventual approval of 29 other NBA owners, but is expected to clear that hurdle as long as Ballmer reaffirms his pledge to keep the team in Los Angeles and not move it to Seattle, where he lives.

    Ballmer, 58, left the software giant in February and has an estimated net worth of $20 billion. Unlike other bidders, he did not immediately seek out partners for the purchase of the Clippers.

    Ballmer last year joined a group, led by hedge fund manager Chris Hansen, to bid on the Sacramento Kings, intending to move the team to Seattle. NBA owners voted to reject the proposed move.

    The businessman said in a recent interview that he had no intention of moving the Clippers. He said that the high valuations for the team only made sense in Los Angeles — the second biggest media market in the country.

    • Avatar Image
      D-Mac · 1 month, 3 weeks ago

      2 billion SHEESH

  • Global14 Sports posted an update:   1 month, 3 weeks ago ·   updated 1 month, 3 weeks ago · View

    NBA : #Heat vs. #Pacers (Who is your pick?)

    • Avatar Image
      cynaamonjLTL · 1 month, 3 weeks ago

      PACERS!!

      • Avatar Image
        D-Mac · 1 month, 3 weeks ago

        Be realistic llol

  • Global14 Sports posted an update:   1 month, 3 weeks ago · View

    NBA : San Antonio Spurs center Tiago Splitter was fined $5,000 by the NBA on Wednesday for violating anti-flopping rules

  • Global14 Sports posted an update:   1 month, 3 weeks ago · View

    NFL : Buffalo Bills wide receiver Sammy Watkins, the team’s first-round draft pick, signed his rookie contract

  • Global14 Sports posted an update:   2 months ago ·   updated 2 months ago · View

    NBA : #Thunder vs. #Spurs (Who is your pick?)

    • Avatar Image
      cynaamonjLTL · 2 months ago

      THUNDER ALL DAY..JUST DONT KNOW WATS HAPPENING HERE! LOL

  • Global14 Sports posted an update:   2 months ago ·   updated 2 months ago · View

    NBA : #Heat 87 – 83 #Pacers (Series tied 1-1)

    • Avatar Image
      D-Mac · 2 months ago

      Gotdamn right!

    • Avatar Image
      cynaamonjLTL · 2 months ago

      PACERS GOTTA TAKE THIS GAME!

  • Global14 Sports posted an update:   2 months ago · View

    NFL : The NFL has hired 12 new officials for the 2014 season and promoted two veterans to referee.

  • Global14 Sports posted an update:   2 months ago · View

    NBA : Cleveland Cavaliers get #1 pick for 2nd straight year

  • Global14 Sports posted an update:   2 months ago · View

    NBA : Warriors, Steve Kerr finalize five-year deal worth up to $25 million

  • Global14 Sports posted an update:   2 months ago · View

    NBA : Mark Jackson rejoins ESPN as game analyst

  • Global14 Sports posted an update:   2 months ago · View

    MLB : Suspended infielder Miguel Tejada has signed a minor league contract with the Miami Marlins.

  • Global14 Sports posted an update:   2 months ago · View

    MLB : New York Yankees pitcher CC Sabathia’s knee injury is likely to keep him out of action until July 1 and possibly longer

  • Load More